Phoenix Water Services & COVID -19
What is COVID-19
COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans. The COVID-19 is the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, Hubei province, China.
Since December 2019, cases have been identified in a growing number of countries.
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are known to cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Severe Acute Respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).
Responses to COVID-19
During the first half of this year, the UK was put into a lockdown. This ensured only essential workers were communting to work and back, while those who could work from home did so. As water hygiene operators, the HSE made clear that all works regarding to Legionella control continued. Therefore, PWS continued to conduct control schemes and risk assessments on sites around the country.
Our Duty to Safety
PWS has responded to the COVID -19 outbreak by following approved codes of safety.
1. We can provide RAMS (risk assessments and method statements) for any site aimed at COVID -19. These docuements give an outline of our works practises and possible risks of social distancing breaches when conducting works. This can be given in both hard copy and PDF.
2. All water hygiene operators must wear a face mask and disposable gloves while on site.
3. Once the works are completed, the water hygiene operator will used anti-bacterial handwipes to wipe down all door handles, intercom buttons and coded locks before leaving site.
4. Every van in the fleet (and employees vehicles) carry a bottle of anit-bacterial gel, which is to be used before exiting the vehicle, during the works and after completion of the works.
5. Our water hygiene operator has volunteered to participate in the Covis-19 sample testing, and the results have come back as negative. If at any time the operator begins to display symptoms of the virus, then they will be asked to take another sample and will remain in isolation for the fixed time untill the samples results are given or the time has elapsed.